For FB SDK

Ambiente

Upon noticing an ad in the paper for its lunch specials, I ventured into one of the Aryaduta Hotel's signature restaurants, Ambiente, which I learned later was, in 1991, the first Italian restaurant in Jakarta. Since then, competition has grown, so much so that this erstwhile culinary landmark seems somewhat vanquished.

I arrived at about 1pm on a Monday, and the sophisticated-looking, tastefully decorated dining room was empty. A Sade album (Stronger than Pride) was playing in the background.

The head server presented the oversized menu, but there were no pizzas listed. I inquired. He said there were four available: Margherita, Tuna, Seafood and Beef; I opted for the Margherita.

As I waited, a small loaf of warm, fresh bread arrived, with lovely red pepper tapenade. It was so good I didn't bother with the olive oil, which appeared to be extra virgin, infused with lavender.

The pizza arrived not so long after, piping hot. It had very good flavor and texture, with a cracker-thin, crispy crust.

Leaving room for dessert, I chose the panna cotta, among the best I've had so far. It was the perfect balance of light and sturdy. The accompanying blueberry compote was a good match (though the berries were small, perhaps from a can), and the S-shaped cookie that ran the length of the large plate added textural balance and further visual appeal.

The service was friendly and very attentive. But then again I was their only guest. They meant well, but their English was not excellent. When I asked about WiFi, they heard white wine. When I ordered panna cotta, they heard pistachio tart. It's a good thing they repeat the order.

Planning your visit:
Mezzanine Level
Hotel Aryaduta Jakarta
Prapatan 44-48

No comments:

Post a Comment